Pregnant Maryland Woman Was Tased During Attack

By: Roby Chavez

FREDERICK, Md. – A pregnant woman attacked in her Maryland home was shocked multiple times with a stun gun by a female attacker wearing a surgical cap and cloth gloves, according to documents released Monday.  Montgomery County police arrested 38-year-old Christine Renee Devaux of Monrovia late Friday night at a motel. She was ordered held without bond Monday by a Montgomery County judge. Court documents said the victim, who is about nine months pregnant, identified her attacker as her father-in-law’s girlfriend.

Lynae Mattson told police that when she arrived at her home in Gaithersburg she saw two white trash bags laid out on the kitchen floor. She believed someone might be in her home and tried to quietly leave when she saw Devaux in a room near a rear door. The two then struggled and Devaux, a former federal employee, allegedly shocked Mattson repeatedly with a stun gun.

During the altercation, Devaux claimed Mattson and her husband Ben Mattson were keeping Devaux away from Ben Mattson’s father Bruce. Lynae Mattson told police Devaux would not allow her to leave, but she was eventually able to escape by pulling Devaux’s hair.

She then ran to a neighbor’s home where she called police. The incident lasted about 30 minutes.

Montgomery County police spokeswoman Lucille Baur said detectives were still investigating Devaux’s intentions. Court documents said investigators found a stun gun in the Mattsons’ home and about 50 feet of wiring or cord in their kitchen.

Lynae Mattson was transported to the hospital with scratches on her arms and a bruised knee and ankle. The assault also caused her to go into labor, the documents said, though Baur said she did not give birth. She was stabilized and in good condition, and later able to go home.

Ben Mattson said that his wife was OK but that he did not want to jeopardize the police investigation by commenting further.

Devaux’s attorney declined to comment to The Washington Post after the bond hearing; she did not have a listed phone number.

Devaux has been charged with first-degree attempted murder, which carries a possible life in prison sentence, as well as assault, burglary and other charges. According to the documents, after the altercation Devaux allegedly went to Bruce Mattson’s home and with two guns and ammunition.

From 1997 to 2004, Devaux was a standards specialist at the National Institute of Standards and Technology, said spokesman Ben Stein. In her job, she would have helped develop and advance voluntary standards for products and technologies used in the United States and around the world. The institute is a federal agency that is part of the Department of Commerce and dedicated to promoting U.S. innovation and industrial competitiveness.